To begin volunteering at CJA you will need to read and complete several documents and training sessions that are independent of your CJA-hosted orientation. Almost all of the requirements can all be accessed on the Virtus website – a training platform sponsored by the National Catholic Risk Retention Group. One additional training session must be completed on the DCFS website.
Virtus Forms and Training
Please visit www.virtusonline.org to create an account and begin this process. After accessing the Virtus website, please select First Time Registrant** from the left side menu and then select Begin the Registration Process. After registering, you will be prompted to complete the following:
- Protecting God’s Children Training Session: Sponsored by the Office for the Protection of Children and Youth, the mission of this training is to promote and protect the dignity of children. All employees and all volunteers who work with children are required to attend. In the past, this training was in-person at various locations throughout the Chicago area. Currently, it is being offered online.
If you attended a Protecting God’s children training session in the last 3 years, you are compliant with this requirement and will not be prompted to register for training. If you attended Protecting God’s Children training, but you completed your session more than 3 years ago, you will be prompted to take a refresher training course titled “Keeping the Promise Alive”.
- Background Check: All employees and volunteers who work with students must complete an online background check. No one can begin to work or volunteer until this is complete and approved. You will be prompted to complete this background check form as part of the Virtus registration process.
- CANTS 689 Form (Child Abuse and Neglect Tracking System): A copy of this form needs to be printed and returned to Tom Beckley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Archdiocesan Standards of Behavior: Reading and acknowledging the code of conduct for working with children is also a requirement of all volunteers.
** If you have previously worked or volunteered at an organization that uses the Virtus system, you may not be prompted to complete some of the items on the above list. If this is true, please contact Tom Beckley for further instructions.
Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) Training
Mandated Reporter: Visit the DCFS website to register for and complete this training. You will need a computer with speakers and a printer. Please allow approximately 60 minutes to complete everything. You have 5 days from your volunteer start date to complete the training and will need to be recertified every 3 years.
After you finish the training, please print the following forms and return them to Tom Beckley at email@example.com:
- Certificate of completion
- Mandated Reporter Acknowledgement Form
If you do not have access to a computer and/or a printer, you can schedule an appointment with Tom Beckley before your first day of volunteer service to complete any necessary requirements.